Saturday, August 20, 2011

Beyond Couch to 5K, Return to Week 1

Even though I finished the Couch to 5K program, I didn't feel that I could just stop running after all that. So I've returned to the beginning, week 1, to work on speed and distance. Here's where I was at week 1 (Click).
This week alternates 1 minute running with 1 1/2 minutes of walking. I actually ran the 1 minute segments, enough to be winded at the end of each minute, but still able to recover by the end of the walk time. I could run up the hills much easier than in week 1. At the end of the podcast, I ran an additional five or so minutes. After about a 20 minute break when I got done, I still had enough energy to mow the lawn.
On Wednesday, I drank coffee before I went out to run, and had a dry mouth and throat. No more coffee before running.
While I was working on speed the first two runs of the week, I don't want to lose the longer distance running. Since week 9 ended with a 30 minute run, I added about 2 minutes for a 32 minute run plus 5 minute warm up and cool down. I used the week 9 podcast and then during my extended running time each day, I listened to Zero 7, nice mellow music to finish a run.

Partly cloudy sky to run under

No comments: