Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sunrise, May 26

Only a few wispy clouds trailed above the horizon when the sun rose at 5:17 a.m.  It's still cool in the morning at 39 degrees.




My favorite from the morning

Memorial Day seems to be the unofficial start of summer, and tourist season.  Several tents were on the beach, their occupants all asleep this early in the morning.






These campers chose the shelter of the rock

But slept outside



Trying out some shutter speed stuff--this was at 1/2 second


Tent #4


The fiddleheads were still curled up

This one was opening up


They look like heads bowed in prayer

They grow in clusters in the woods

I think I'm having my own study in biology out here.  I've learned about fiddleheads, and also about pussy willows.  Pussy willows have male and female plants.  The pussy willows bloom, and have either stamen (male) or pistils (female).  The pussy willow below has bloomed, but is it male of female?



After the rain we had last week, the stream is still flowing to the lake.  I was able to hop across without going around, though.

The sun really brightened things up!

I stopped by the pond to see if the ducks were there, but only two geese and a different duck were there.





Continuing my biology lesson, I believe this is a lesser scaup duck

When I got too close, the geese took off

No comments: