Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sunrise, May 19

Sunrise isn't really an appropriate title, as dense fog obscured any view of the sun.  It was 43 degrees, and the sun rose behind the fog at 5:24 a.m.

Usually I can see the island behind this rock


Looks kinda eerie

This tree was stuck in the lake the previous week; at some point it washed up on the shore

Subdued


Tiny leaves emerging

A different bench than the one I saw the previous week

One lonely goose

I'm always look to photograph silhouettes of bare trees.  The fog makes this one look especially spooky. 
Emerging


Fog clearing, island visible

Spiderweb defined by drips

And the island is visible behind the rock, too

What do you know about fiddleheads?  They grow in the early spring, taste like a cross between green beans and asparagus, and must be cooked thoroughly to be palatable (I've never eaten them myself).  They grow into ferns--see the tiny fern fronds in the curl at the top?  This is the first time I've seen fiddleheads in the wild, and I probably won't see them again until next year.

 Fiddleheads


This pond appears to be home to a pair of ducks.  I'm keeping an eye out for ducklings!

 
 Mama duck

Mama joins the daddy duck

The pair swims away

No comments: