Thursday, August 29, 2013

End of Summer Heat Wave

After a relatively cool, wet summer, we've had some heat and humidity the last week or so.  I'm not a fan of this weather, but I tolerate it in part because my garden has really taken off (about time, right?).  We've eaten radishes and beets, I've picked an ice cream bucket of green beans every other day for the past week and a half, we eat peas off the vine daily, and the zucchini and cucumbers are growing and ripening.

We planted these Quick Fire hydrangeas last year, and they've really taken off this summer


The Black-Eyed Susans went in this year

For awhile I thought we were hardly going to get tomatoes--then suddenly I counted 25 tomatoes on plants, found more every day, and are over 60 tomatoes on the plants now.  Hopefully we won't get frost for a long time so they'll have time to ripen.
 

We planted kohlrabi for the first time this year

 
This grasshopper munched on a sunflower petal

One day when I was picking peas, I found this volunteer pansy growing, so I transplanted it where we can see and enjoy it.



This tomato has a little something extra

We're also growing popcorn for the first time ever, and it finally tassled and is growing tiny ears of corn.


The sunflower mixture I planted has resulted in several different varieties, including this small orange/yellow type.




To keep cool, the kids love to run through the sprinkler.






No comments: