Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sunrise, August 18

I tried another new location this week--Beaver Bay.  Right by the bridge that goes over the Beaver River, a path leads down the hill to the shore where the Beaver River empties into Lake Superior.  It is private property, but a sign is posted that people are free to be there.


The sky was overcast, so much so that I wasn't expecting much of a sunrise.  It pays to stick around and wait it out, though.  The weather was on the warm side at 59 degrees, and the sun rose at 6:05 a.m.

Glad to be back to nature--no cars, no people

The sky and water are nearly the same color


A little touch of pink in the sky


This is what I would call a subtle sunrise

This family of ducks swam past; usually ducks swim slowly and calmly, but I think the young ones were feeling competitive, because all of a sudden they'd start swimming fast as if in a race

When I looked up from watching the duck family, I was surprise to see the pink of the sun appearing over the horizon

Just a ball of pink in the sky




Rising enough to reflect in the lake

Remains

Before long, the sun began to fade into the clouds

A bald eagle flew by and perched on top of a tree

I really like the understated color in the photo

The sun looks like a reflection in the sky

Such a peaceful way to start the day

Big piece of driftwood

Little pieces of driftwood sandwiched between two big pieces


Bump on a tree

Beaver River Falls

Because the sky was overcast, I was able to take these photos with a longer exposure without overexposing them



No comments: