Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sunrise, July 28

As I mentioned last week, North Shore Mining has "closed" access to the beach I have been going to, so this week I went to the marina instead.  It was 48 degrees (yes, you read that right) and the sun rose at 5:38 a.m.  Heavy clouds were still lingering after a couple days of rain, so the sun wasn't visible until it rose over the clouds a bit.


Several fishermen launched boats

 Looking toward North Shore Mining--see the ship?

The middle boat has a big selection of fishing poles

Looking out over the breakwater


Lupine

Quite a few boats docked

The Menonah is giving tours on Lake Superior this summer

Masts

Looks like someone spit on this plant, but I suspect it's actually from a spittlebug

Leftovers from the rain; the droplets look like they contain eyes staring back at me

Cloud reflections

One thing I like about photography is seeing details in things I would otherwise not notice

Similar to a daisy I photographed a couple weeks ago

More wildflowers

Old picnic shelter

Near the picnic shelter, I found this unique mushroom

Down the trail a bit, I then found this mushroom

I'm not a mycologist (studier of fungi), so I don't know what type it is

When the sun rose above the clouds, it lit up the marina

All in all, I found some interesting things to photograph at the marina.  The clouds were too heavy for a great sunrise, so I'm going to go back again.  I definitely prefer the raw nature of the beaches to the business of the marina (even at 6 a.m. several people were there, and campers, and cars).

No comments: