Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sunrise, February 24

There was heavy cloud cover over the lake when the sun rose at 6:55 a.m.  It was 23 degrees.


The clouds were clearing to the north

It still looks and feels like winter, but I saw the first early sign of spring:  the seagulls return in February, and a flock of them was circling around the island pictured below.

Another tire was on the beach, different from the one I saw buried the previous week.


As I walked to another beach, two deer ran into these trees.  They were too quick for me to get a photo.


When I got to Black Beach (named for the dark sand there), I found huge chunks of snow and ice.



These layers were about chest high

I like the contrast of the bright white snow on the dark brown rock:





Random chunk of ice

As I headed back, I had to check out the ice-covered trees on top of an outcropping of rock.
There's a tree under all those icicles!

Wolf track

Knee deep drifts of snow

I'm not sure how these branches became covered in ice, but it sure is pretty
We had some fierce winds last week that must have helped form these icicles

Someone wrote "Abby" in the sand; it made me think of my sister Abby


Interesting texture on this ice

No comments: