Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sunrise, February 17

For the first time this winter, I saw ice covering Lake Superior.  When I checked the weather Sunday morning before I went out, the temperature was -20 degrees.  I think that must have been inland, or closer to 6 a.m. than 7 a.m. because it didn't feel so frigid.  When I drove back through town to get my Sunday paper, the bank clock said -4.  The sun rose at 7:07 a.m., 12 minutes earlier than the previous week.

The lake was completely calm and quiet; the only noise was the creaking of the ice as water moved underneath.  The horizon glowed pink as I approached the lake.



Puffs of snow were scattered across the ice


I love the color of this photo



Shards of ice gather along the shore

Here comes the sun!





This tire was almost completely buried in the sand
 
Back on January 6, the tire was on top of the sand




Random chunk of snow left




One of my favorites from the morning



 

No comments: