Friday, January 4, 2013

Sunrise, New Year's Day 2013

New Year's Day dawned a frigid -8 degrees, with the sun rising at 7:52 a.m.  That is the latest the sun will rise in this neck of the woods.  Fresh snow covered the sand and rocks, and because of the cold, I stayed close by and didn't walk to any further beaches.

I drive to this location and park in the small gravel parking area.  The driveway out to the road is on an incline, and while the snow had been driven on and wasn't deep enough to get stuck in, it was slick enough that my tires couldn't get enough traction.  For a few minutes, I thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to get me out, but after a few back and forths, I finally made it through to the road.  I think I'll park on the road from now on.

Pale color at the horizon

Sea smoke over the cold water

We can climb on this rock in the summer; not so much in the winter

Someone left a tire on the beach

I walked left instead of right this morning, looking back where I started

It just looks cold, doesn't it?

I could walk up to this rock

The waves freeze into ripples on the shore

They form little ice shelves . . .

 . . . with icicles dripping down

 Up close

And from a distance

Brrrr!

At last the sunlight reaches the clouds


Amazing icicles!

The clouds look like they're on fire:




 Finally, the sun breaks above the clouds


No comments: