Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Study in Shutter Speed

I finally learned how to change the shutter speed on my camera.  I'm mostly experimenting, seeing how different settings affect how a photo turns out.  My camera has a shutter speed from 10 seconds (the shutter will stay open for 10 seconds, letting in lots of light) to 1/8000 of a second, which requires a lot of light, or the picture will turn out dark.  You can find much better explanations elsewhere, I'm sure.

Anyway, I played around with the shutter speed settings, and can really see the difference in light.  At the lake, after the thaw, the water was running. 


Definitely too much light/shutter speed too slow







 And eventually, too dark/shutter speed too fast

Next, I tried some indoor photos with running water in the sink.  A slow shutter speed will make water look silky smooth, while a fast shutter speed will seem to freeze time.

 



The more light, the brighter and sharper the background came out, too

No comments: