Sunday, July 1, 2012

Radishes

My garden has had a rough start.  I planted it on Memorial Day, and right after that the weather was in the low 30's at night and we had quite a bit of rain.  After everything sprouted, something started eating the leaves.  It may have been tent caterpillars or some other type of worm/caterpillar, I'm not 100% sure, but my plants were in sorry shape.  They continued to grow, and then we had the great rain deluge that brought Duluth 10 inches of rain.  My pea plants were plastered to the ground, right when they were almost tall enough to grab the fence and start climbing.  A few days later, I saw deer tracks in the garden (only a few feet from the house--pretty daring!) and half my pea plants eaten down.  Sigh.
Will the peas recover?

Despite all the trouble, I was able to harvest all the radishes.  Barry likes them the most, but Raina will eat them, and I like a thinly sliced radish on my salad.  The rest of the plants finally seem to be recovering.  I'm finding less pests, the deer hasn't returned, and the warm weather is good for the plants.
 
Eaten up radish leaves

No harm to the radishes

No comments: