Sunday, June 26, 2011

Couch to 5K, Week 3

The weather interfered with my running plans last week. Normally I plan to to go out Monday/Wednesday/Friday. On Monday when I woke up, it was windy and gray outside. I went back to sleep. A few hours later, the guilt set in. I had checked the weather and a lot of rain was predicted for the week ahead. So I laced up my shoes and did my first walk/run for the week.
The week started with a five minute warm-up, then 1 1/2 minute jog, 1 1/2 minute walk, 3 minute jog, 3 minute walk, and repeat one time. Three minutes was twice as long as the previous week's run time, and three times as long as the first week. Apparently my body continues to adjust to the longer times, as I completed all the running segments this week.
I had less burning in my calves, but my knees are feeling the impact of running more. Hopefully they just need some time to adapt to the demands I'm putting on them.
Wednesday morning I woke up to pouring rain and gale force winds. We do not have a treadmill or other indoor running options, so I did not run. Thursday morning the rain had stopped, although it was a bit misty outside. I did Day 2 for the week, switching my route so that the longer runs were down hill or on a flatter course.
The program suggests taking rest days in between running days to give your body time to recover, so although Friday was my regular running day, I waited until Saturday for Day 3. It was a little muggy outside, but overall was a nice morning to be out.
Despite challenging weather, I have completed week 3 of the Couch to 5K program!

No comments: