Thursday, September 15, 2011

Photography Challenge Week 8: Black and White

The photography challenge for this week is Black and White. I didn't go traditional with this one by taking (or editing) a photo in black and white. Instead I focused on the contrast between the black night sky and the bright moon. I'm still not venturing outside of the auto settings on the camera, but I am beginning to understand a little more about how it works.
I set the camera flash to off and snapped my first picture of the moon:

Oops, my hand wasn't steady enough for the several seconds the camera needed me to be. I didn't want to get the tripod out, so instead I put the camera on top of a car. Then I could hold down the button while the camera stayed steady.

Laura Beth at A Step in the Journey has posted a guide this week from PictureCorrect.com on How to Take Pictures in Low Light. This guide describes much better than I could how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO affect how photos turn out.

See more black and white photos at Laura Beth's site!

4 comments:

Ricki said...

Very cool!

Little City Farm said...

The car was a smart idea. Turned out really neat.

Jeanna said...

I think you did a great job. Very creative...

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

Kei said...

I love your night shots! When I was a photography student I did a whole bunch of moon pictures but (much to the chagrin of my tutors) didn't usually use a tripod =) I think that whilst sometimes it means blurred pictures, it can also create really creepy images!

Of the photos you posted, I love the first (for its smoky-light look) and the third (because it's beautiful!) the most!