Monday, July 4, 2011

Couch to 5K, Week 4

I had to run on Monday, Thursday and Saturday this week as Barry and Jackson were out of town on Wednesday so I had no one else to watch the younger kids. If you would have told me when I started the Couch to 5K program and was struggling to run for one minute that I would be up to five minute runs in a few weeks, I wouldn't have believed it.
This week alternated 3 minute run, 1 1/2 minute walk, 5 minute run, 2 1/2 minute walk, 3 minute run, 1 1/2 minute walk, 5 minute run, then 5 minute cool down walk. I ran every segment as I was supposed to, although I'm still running at a slow jog. The burning in my calves was back this week with the longer runs and the hills.
It's getting warmer now that summer's finally here, and on Saturday's run it was 73 degrees when I started and 79 degrees at the end. I much prefer running at 50-60 degrees.
I didn't like this week's music selection as much as previous week's--it was a little too 80's sounding to me. The best music was in the last minute of the last run when it pumped up enough to get me through to the end.
I always enjoy the 5 minute cool down at the end when I'm on the ATV trail behind our house in the shade of these lovely trees:

No comments: