Sunday, November 4, 2007

Popcorn and Chili

It was Barry's birthday yesterday, so he wanted me to make popcorn during the football game today, and make chili for supper.
I don't usually buy microwave popcorn--we make our own microwave popcorn. Here's how you can make some: put 1/4 cup popcorn kernals into a brown paper lunch bag, roll over and tape shut. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until popping slows to 2-3 seconds between popping. Put your popcorn in a big bowl, add melted butter and salt, and you're all set!
On to the chili. There are probably as many ways to make chili as there are people making it, but here's what I generally put in my chili:
Browned hamburger, sometimes cooked with onion
Light red kidney beans
Black beans
Chili beans
RoTel tomatoes
Diced or stewed tomatoes
Tomato sauce
Corn
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cayenne pepper
Salt
The amount of each ingredient depends on exactly what I have in the house. I put it all in the crockpot on low for 5-6 hours, then it's ready to eat!
Barry has a couple of additional "secret ingredients" that he adds to his chili. I am not, however, allowed to disclose them.

No comments: