Thursday, March 20, 2014

Marina Ice

On this first day of spring, the snow piles are slowly dwindling. We escaped the predicted 6-10" earlier this week with only a dusting, not even enough to shovel. The ice on Lake Superior changes day by day depending mostly on the wind speed and direction. I took a day last week to check out the ice at the Silver Bay Marina.

Naked branches 

Ice meets open water 

On the docks 

I like both the shape of these icicles and the reflection in the water 

The hill up to the lookout; the snow was still very deep and I sunk in past my knee more than once



Mountain Ash Berries still hanging on 

Ice on ice; the big chunk is around ten feet across to give you a sense of scale 

 
Can you spot the man-made object in the middle of the ice?

Closer to the shore, the ice is somewhat cut off from the rest of Lake Superior by the breakwall, so the ice is in more geometric shapes and is less broken up

Slushy water

Geometric 

More ice on ice 

A little bit of green 

Tree lichen 

This tree looks like an old man to me--see the two arms, one holding on to a walking stick?

Back at home, I saw this pileated woodpecker out the kitchen window when I was doing dishes

No comments: