Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Settling In

Now that I've discovered that moving takes at least 3 times more work than I expected, I'm happy to be up here and settling in. It didn't help that the kids were sick with a stomach bug last Thursday--no fun! But everyone's better now, Jackson started school on Monday and the other kids are adjusting just fine.
It's great to drive up the hill to Zup's grocery store (maybe 1/4 of the size of the Cub Foods I'm used to) and see Lake Superior from the parking lot. I'm not really sure what I think of small town living. It will definitely require some planning, as Target and Cub Foods are about an hour away and Pamida and Super One Foods are about 1/2 hour away.
This house has some quirks to get used to, too. The other day I was putting up the crib when one of the metal bars touched some live wires in an uncovered outlet. Good think I was touching wood and a rubber-handled screwdriver. It sparked and shorted out 2 rooms, but Barry quickly got an outlet cover and a fuse and took care of that situation.
The shower does not stay hot, so I'll have to take either shorter or colder showers.
The dryer puts holes in clothes and takes more than 2 full cycles to dry a load, so we're looking at the laundromat for the short term and a new washer/dryer combo soon.
Just minor things, really, when you have this in your "back yard":

1 comment:

Abby & Jason said...

I miss you already!!!!

Sounds like you are settling in, though...can't wait to visit!